Written by Marissa Ann Portillo, BS, RLATG, CM
Welcome back to our pet recipes series!
For October, we are preparing for Halloween and paying tribute to the pumpkin patch. There’s a chill in the air and the pumpkins are ready for picking. It’s time for some delicious autumn treats for your furry friends!
Awesome Autumn Appetizers
These petite appetizers are perfect for a training reward or even to hide medication inside. They’re soft and aromatic and surely to get your pup ready for the day ahead!
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 7 oz canned pumpkin (unsweetened, no spices added – do not use pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 heaping tablespoons unsweetened smooth peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together all ingredients in a bowl until dough is firm.
- Roll small, ½ inch sized balls of dough – you get to use your hands! Place dough balls about 1 inch apart on lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 12 minutes or until treats start to brown. Allow to cool and serve to your furry friend!
Tested and approved by CoCo Bean, Miss Piggy, and Smeagol!
Stay tuned for next month’s November/Thanksgiving-themed recipe!